Thursday, August 22, 2024

A Road Trip to Remember

 Hello Everyone,

So much has happened since my last post a bit over a week ago that it is hard to know when to begin.  As you know, Mr. Joe and I set out on a road trip to Denver on August 10th for the taping of my segments on The Quilt Show with Alex Anderson and Ricky Tims.


We took a slight detour through Bryce Canyon National Park.  The clouds parted when we got there, and the thunderstorms and hailstorms stopped. The remnant of the hail is visible in this picture.



We arrived in Denver on the 12th of August.  On the 13th we went to the old, restored Mission Church to drop off quilts and all of my supplies.  The church is now an event center.


Alex and Ricky were filming promos for The Quilt Show.


The church is beautiful inside.  


My scheduled day for taping was Wednesday.  Tuesday night I didn't feel well and then my left leg blew up like a sausage.  It was red, hot and extremely swollen. For those of you who follow my blog, it is the same leg that received the venomous bites a year ago.....almost to the same date.

Somehow, I was able to shower, do my hair and get dressed which was a HUGE deal since I had to keep sitting down. I had great difficulty getting a pair of pants on over the swollen leg. I crammed my foot into a sandal. We set off for the church even though I felt horrible and just didn't look good.  I explained to the crew what was going on and I told them I was going to get through the taping no matter what. It was an issue dragging this weary body up the stairs to the choir loft to tape the before and after show segments.



The crew is getting ready to reveal my super-secret project so we could talk about it.  We sat for a bit and just ran through the segment with the producer.  It is amazing how comfortable Alex and Ricky make you feel so at ease and it's as though you are just sitting and chatting, and you forget about the cameras and crew.


Then we went downstairs to film the three other segments.  My leg was ready to fall off by this point in time so they got me a stool which was a big help because I couldn't stand up for very long.






When the filming was over, Mr. Joe and I headed right to the emergency room at Saint Joseph's Hospital where I was admitted and in surgery Thursday morning to remove a blot clot of epic proportion.  The clot started in my abdomen and ran down my thigh.  One clot started and other clots joined in on the fun!  After the 2-1/2 hour surgery they showed me a picture of the clot and it looked like a string of pop beads.  Remember them?  

I was released on Friday night with a sworn promise not to start driving home until Saturday.  All was well and we left Denver Saturday morning.  They told me to stop every hour, and I know where every Starbucks is from Denver to the California border.  There aren't many across southern Wyoming.

Again, all was well until yesterday. Wednesday when I ended up in the ER again for a 6-hour stay and more ultrasounds.  My blood thinning medication wasn't working, so a pill has now been added to my arsenal of medications.  

Before we headed back to California, we stopped by the church to pick up my quilts and supplies.  The crew treated me like a conquering hero.

We stopped at a restaurant the day I was released, and this sign was over our table. 


Cherish every day you are privileged to live.

Soon,
Lynn









27 comments:

  1. So sorry for all the health problems on your trip to Denver and the return home. You are so fortunate it was taken care of before things got worse. Take care and get some needed rest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel so lucky that I was in the right spot at the right time.

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness Lynn. I almost cried reading this. You are one brave woman, and I am so glad you were able to make it to the hospital in time. Take care of yourself. We all wish you the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I was crying at one point in time before I went to the hospital!

      Delete
  3. As soon as you said how swollen up your leg was I thought you should have went to the ER before the Quilt Show even though that is where you wanted to be - I recognized the symptoms as my husband had one but he didn't need the surgery and medication took care of it. Now when we travel we stop every two hours to walk around. I'm so glad you are now well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I EVER have these same symptoms, I will go straight to ER.

      Delete
  4. Wow Lynn, what a blessing you made it through the taping without any issues! So glad you were able to get your leg taken care of and still do all you wanted to do. Take care and rest up now that you're home. And yes, I'm usually a lurker here, but I'm so happy to hear you're okay I had to jump out of the shadows and say so! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you came out of the shadows, Carolyn. Yes, it was a blessing that I was able to do what I went there to do. I just didn't look too good though.

      Delete
  5. Oh my goodness, not the kind of adventure you want to have. Very happy to hear that the ER was able to deal with you so quickly. Hoping that the new meds kick in and do their job for you. That will be a taping to remember!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The new medication seems to be working. Fingers crossed.

      Delete
  6. I wondered why you were quiet That was scary for you guys Hope it goes well back in cali

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you are home and doing better. I too wondered why the blog was quiet. Best wishes for a complete recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was thinking about you this morning and hoping you were doing better. Oh my, all that you have been through in the last year and you still find the strength to make us laugh! You are a trooper, for sure. I look forward to seeing you next month ... I hope!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are still on for the retreat next month! I'll have a lot of quilters taking care of me.

      Delete
  9. Prayers for your complete recovery. Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dodged a bullet there....been in that situation...hope all gors well now...it's a new ballgame

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are sooooo right about dodging a bullet!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an experience - both positive and negative. Sew glad that you are doing well now. Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! So glad you are home and doing better even after the second scare. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yowza!!! What a journey!! Please take good care and follow up with your medical team. Sending warm healing wishes your way💗

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Lynn, my heart goes out to you and Joe, it is so hard to watch and wait.
    Glad to have you back in your familiar stomping grounds and here's to having you stomping soon.
    My thoughts and prayers are with you.
    Hugs, Sharon McD (and the girls)

    ReplyDelete
  16. That was a close call. I am so glad you survived (miraculously) AND got to do what you wanted to do. A lot can happen in a short time, can't it! Welcome home to Arnold from a follower in Livermore.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm way behind on reading blogs and just now found this. What a scary ordeal! I'm so glad you're on the road to recovery. Hope it continues sucessfully and you're soon able to dance again.

    ReplyDelete