Sunday, June 27, 2021

Summer Fun

Hello Everyone,

 Even though Summer has arrived, it's never too early to start planning projects for Fall.  I'm working on another Peek-A-Boo Pumkins tablerunner with a few changes from the first one.


Last year, when I was a Fabric Ambassador for Henry Glass Fabrics, I designed this table runner. Everything had to be done quickly, and finished before the next fabric shipment.  Because of the short turn around times, I never had a chance to write the pattern. Now this is becoming a pattern.

This is the one I finished last year.  The new one will be very similar but without the vine.  I love the little mice peeking out from behind their hiding spots.  This is going to be one of the projects during my three Sew'n Wild Oaks quilting retreats starting in August.  I'm making kits for this little cutie pie.


Our grandsons were with us for several days and spent a lot of time down at Snowflake Lake.  The weather has been so warm, and the water feels so refreshing.  We spent a wonderful 6 days with the boys, and I lost count of the many games we played.  The cabin is a "no phone zone" for the boys, much to the delight of their parents.  We played countless games of Monopoly, Parchessi, Sorry, and Fantan.  We taught the boys to play cards before their little hands could hold a full hand, so we bought them little card holders.  We treasure our time with the boys.  The oldest is headed to high school this year, and the youngest is going into 8th grade.  We know there will come a time, all too soon, when they will have so many other interest, that we won't see them as much.  The time to make memories is now.


Our collective Mother's/Father's Day gifts were a Blackstone Flat Top, and a smoker.  I fixed breakfast in our new outdoor kitchen yesterday.  We LOVE it!  We had friends over last night, and the flat top was the star of the show.  Mr. Joe smoked a pork shoulder all day yesterday.  We shredded the pork and made Cuban sandwiches for dinner on the flat top.  YUM!  Never in my life have I served sandwiches for dinner......but I would serve them again in a heartbeat.


Mazey has her new hair cut for Summer.  She looks like a different dog without all of her "feathers".  I'm sure she will be much more comfortable during our current heat wave.


 I began a new morning routine week.  I still get up at 5am and fill pattern orders, read and answer emails, and work on the accounting for the business.  Then at 8:15am I head out the door to a water aerobics class at Snowflake Lodge.  It is the best, and most refreshing way to start the day.  First I had to get over my anxiety of appearing in public in a swimming suit.  That is behind me now, and I totally enjoy myself, the other people in the class, the instructor, and I'm hooked!

When my grandsons were here, and riding up an down the hills on their scooters, they taught me a new phrase of scooter/skateboard lingo.  When they pick up too much speed going down a hill, their scooter gets "speed wobbles".  I get "speed wobbles" when I walk too briskly with Mazey!  I also experience "speed wobbles" when I'm doing the flutter kick in the pool.  I guess I could rename it speed jiggles.

So get out in nature today and experience a few "speed wobbles" and pick up the pace.

Soon,
Lynn



16 comments:

  1. Never a dull moment at Wilder's Last Resort! The boys (and you two) must have been in 7th heaven! Oh, that flattop - now I can see a LOT of use for it. We sure love our smoker - I haven't done Cuban sandwiches yet, but I plan to wobble on out there and try it!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be happy to share my Cuban sandwich recipe with you Candace. They were so tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just curious, will the smell of meat from the grill and smoker attract bears? The pumpkin table runners are so cute, happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny that you mentioned the smells from the grill and smoker attracting bears. We had that discussion at the dinner table last night. You just never know.....

      Delete
  4. Fun times with the grand boys! Your table runner is so cute ... do you have more information to share about your retreats?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julie,
      I have openings for the September retreat. The dates are the 27th-30th and it will be held at Snowflake Lodge in Arnold. Send me an email sewnwildoaks@gmail.com and I'll send you more specifics.

      Delete
  5. I enjoyed reading about the special time you and Joe had with your grandsons. 6 days of “making memories.” I’m so happy for you all. I too love the pumpkin table runners...it’s great that they will be available as kits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The boys always have so much fun together and with us. Cousins are the best of friends.

      Delete
  6. Morning Lynn! Ah, the memories you and Mr Joe have made, are wonderful! The bears are the first thing I thought of with the new grill. You're gonna go out and find the grill missing and find it with the bears. The runners are beautiful but too much hand applique work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not to worry, I machine appliqued my first Peek-A-Boo. I'm going to hand applique the second one.

      Delete
  7. But aren't flutter kicks fun? I'm glad you have had some quality time with the boys. They'll remember them for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, flutter kicks are fun and really work my legs.....but my speed wobbles creates a mini-tidal wave in the pool!

      Delete
  8. My son has a Blackstone cooker too. He loves it! I loved it when I visited as he made a stir fry on it for dinner one night. I too have a morning routine. I get up around 5am also and read a few blogs over coffee (outside if the weather allows). Then I talk to my BFF from 6am-630am. She now lives in Cleveland OH area while I live in the St. Louis IL area. Then I get on my yuck clothes to take the dog for a walk from 645am-8am. It's also a great way to start the day. We see neighbors, catch up on local news, enjoy the change of seasons, etc. Don't mess with my routine. I like being "stuck in a rut"! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm a creature of habit too, Susie. I like my routine and I seem to get a lot accomplished during the day. I never knew a Blackstone would be so much fun to own.

      Delete
  9. Oh Lynn, you never cease to crack me up. Speed wiggles/jiggles! I too had to face the humiliation of appearing in public in swim attire. However, like you, we all got over it quickly as most of us were in the same boat. Or pool, as it were.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always enjoyed swimming, but in the privacy of my own pool. I'm enjoying myself so much in this structured, water aerobics class. The only time for terror is getting in and out of the pool!

      Delete