Sunday, February 6, 2022

My Quilting Journey

 Hello Everyone,

And so, it began in 2014.  I made my first Emilie Elizabeth quilt named after my maternal grandmother.


The quilt was on display at Prairie Queens Quilt Shop in San Jose, CA when the Vice President of sales for Marcus Fabrics came into the shop with their sales rep.



I was contacted by the VP and asked if I would remake it for them using their fabrics by Judie Rothermel called Judie's Album Quilt.  The kicker was that I had about ONE month to recreate this quilt so that it could be on display in Houston for Quilt Market.  I called my sister Gail and set up a sweat shop in my sewing room.  The deadline was met with barely a second to spare.


This is my first Emilie Elizabeth which looks downright dull compared to the new quilt.




Next came Heritage.  The VP sent me the fabrics, also created by Judie Rothermel.  I sat down with my EQ software and came up with this design.


This quilt has become my #1 bestseller.





This pattern has been in Keepsake Quilting catalog.
I helped my guild remake this quilt for our scholarship quilt.


It was featured in QuiltMania magazine.


Then came Prairie Flower.


I must have been crazy when I decided to quilt this quilt with all of this dense quilting.  It took me forever!

Mazey poses with every quilt.  She's my gorgeous model.


The fabric is called Conestoga Crossing by Pam Buda for Marcus Fabrics.  This picture was just perfect for this quilt.  This quilt was also featured in Keepsake Quilting.



Then came Crossing the Pond where I used Journey to America fabric by Judie Rothermel.



This quilt was featured in QuiltMania magazine.



.....and then came A Ribbon Runs Through It.  What a whirlwind this Block of the Month became.


But wait, there's more!  Drumrolllll.......my name is now going to appear on the selvedge of Marcus Fabrics!  I signed a two-year contract with them after my Zoom call this week.  I am knee deep in designing my own fabric collection for them.  It is thrilling, it is scary, it is such an honor to even be considered to become part of the Marcus Fabrics designer team.  My head is swimming with ideas that I need to corral and get organized in a cohesive fabric line.  You can bet your booties it is going to include plaids, checks, and stripes.

This post is a testament that you are never too old to reach and achieve your dreams.  When I started my quilting journey with my first design in 2008, I never dreamed that this would happen.  This is my first design, The House on Edgewood Lane.  The rest is history with more history yet to be made.......


Soon,
Lynn




  









36 comments:

  1. Congrats. Looking forward to your
    Fabric line

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kathy. It's going to take months to bring it to market.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations! I look forward to your fabric creations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Donna. I'm looking forward to creating the line.

      Delete
  3. A Quilter's History that keeps growing better and better! I've had the pleasure of knowing you personally through these years, my friend, and you get this special twinkle in your eye when a new idea plants its seed! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've been there since the very beginning, Paula. That twinkle has grown to the size of a lighthouse this week! Love you, Paula.

      Delete
  4. What a journey it's been, Lynn! I wish you all the success you deserve, and I look forward to many, many more designs because I know you're always thinking of them - even in your sleep!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Candace. I can't dream of designs in my sleep, because I'm too excited to sleep! Isn't it wonderful how our friendship has grown over the years from our very first connection on the Internet.

      Delete
  5. OMG, Lynn! This is just the most exciting news! And so very deserved! You are one amazing quilter, and ought to be recognized for your hard work! I couldn't be more thrilled for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jayne. I still want to meet you one of these days. One of my retreats maybe?
      Thank you for your kind words.

      Delete
  6. Congratulations! This is wonderful for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cathy. Yes, it is just wonderful news.

      Delete
  7. Awesome Lynn! I look forward to seeing your fabric creations and quilts quilts you design for them!!! I know it will be a best seller for Marcus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it will be a best seller. I'm working hard on the fabric as we speak.

      Delete
  8. I love your quilts, especially the Heritage quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such exciting news Lynn! Enjoy this next chapter in your wonderful quilting story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This next chapter is certainly going to be a "colorful" one!

      Delete
  10. This post brought me such joy! I’m so happy for you and so extra happy for all of us quilters. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment brought me great joy, Madeleine. I'm really looking forward to the year ahead for more sharing, retreats, and of course quilting.

      Delete
  11. As always your quilts are beautiful and I love seeing the varied color combinations. I love your designs ( and need to make the one I have of yours). I love seeing how Pieceful Gatherings is featuring your patterns. They are so unique and stunning piecework.!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Debbie. I'm really looking forward to my trip and teaching at Pieceful Gathering's retreat. Their shop is just my style!

      Delete
  12. Congrats and I can always say, "I remember when".... I knew you would make it big Lynn. Your patterns were just too perfect to be ignored! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  13. How exciting! I cannot wait to see your own fabric line! Marcus is my favorite and I know you will come up with fantastic fabrics. I wish you every success in your continuing journey!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Wendy. The process is going to take months. I'm taking baby steps right now.

      Delete
  14. Wow, it sounds like it all happened so fast. But you always do design the most intriguing quilts! And I've always liked Marcus fabrics too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This has been in the works for a while. I was the one dragging feet as it all seemed so overwhelming. Yes, the line has a name and a theme. I'll share it as soon as I can.

      Delete
  15. Wow, that is a bunch of beautiful quilts! You are sew inspiring to the rest of us, and I'm excited for you that you are going to be designing fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to share, but it is going to be months of work ahead. There will be a lot of iterations along the way to get it right.

      Delete
  16. What a dream come true! You are my inspiration, never to old to dream! (If you remember that tune)😁 Congratulations, it could not have happened to a more deserving person.
    Hugs, Sharon McD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Sharon! This is what I've been working toward for years.

      Delete
  17. Congratulations! I’ll be watching for your new line of fabric. Does it have a name yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jan. It will be quite some time before the line comes out. My line has a name, and a theme which I will share when I can.

      Delete
  18. Congratulations, Lynn! I may be late to this party but I'm blowing the party horn for you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lynn, I am so happy for you. I don't which is more beautiful - your fabrics or your quilt designs.

    ReplyDelete