Thursday, October 19, 2023

To Market to Market....

 Hello Everyone,

Such a busy, busy week here under the pines for me and Mr. Joe. We've been hustling and filling orders.  The Double Dutch kits sold out this morning.  Thank you to everyone who purchased one.  The Mondays with Marcus generated a lot of pattern sales too; and to say I was overwhelmed is an understatement!  Mr. Joe and Mazey were making 2 trips to the post office each day.  Mazey loved it since she gets a treat after each trip.

I've been preparing for my Schoolhouse presentation at Quilt Market in Houston. I'll be presenting Patchwork Math in 30 minutes.  I'll have to be talking like an auctioneer to pull this off.  If any shop owners are reading this, I will be in room 372DE at 11am on Friday the 27th.  

I'll be going over formulas and construction techniques for just a few of the components in my Patchwork Math Book.  I guarantee it will be a fun and informative session.

This week I remade all of my step-outs using my Hearthstone fabric.  This wasn't trivial and it took me two days to complete the task between my shipping duties.  I'm happy to say they are DONE!  The best thing about it is they are now completed and ready for the next time I teach Patchwork Math.

Mr. Joe and I thought it would be fun to do a road trip to Houston, and we hit the road bright and early Saturday morning.  We will be stopping in Tempe, AZ to see our granddaughter who's attending ASU.  The added bonus is meeting her boyfriend, and we get to go to one of his ice hockey games.

I'll be posting our travels along the way.  Last year at this time I was just returning from a road trip to North Dakota.  The scenery in the southwest is going to be a lot different in comparison to the northern part of the US.  

The last time we drove through the southwest was in 1972 in a 1967 finicky Mustang Fastback with a 390 engine......during a gas shortage. The car went through gas like a sieve. We set out to go across country to visit Mr. Joe's parents who lived in Alabama, with only $200 in our pocket.....no charge cards.  What were we thinking?  Two young kids without a care in the world out on an adventure.

Fifty-one years later, our circumstances are a bit different.  Our hotel room in Houston, for one night, is double the amount we had for our first trip!  The Houston Astros are in the baseball playoffs and the hotels are doing a bit of price hiking! 

I like to think we are still two young kids without a care in the world out on an adventure.

Soon,

Lynn

10 comments:

  1. You two "young" kids have a fantastic time and post pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are both young in heart and spirit! Even a half hour of patchwork math will wow your audience! Have a wonderful , safe and fun trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we are young at heart! Now, if I can just convince my body.....

      Delete
  3. Enjoy your trip. I took your Patchwork Math class here in San Jose a few years ago with my quilt guild. Love your new fabric and look forward to reading your blog. Also enjoy your new 'story'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That class was a long time ago, Sandy. I miss Prairie Queens. They were the best quilt shop.

      Delete
  4. Yes indeed prices of everything sure have changed! We had just as much fun in the early days at one quarter of the price, but such is life. Have a blast in Houston!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My friend and I stayed at the Icon Hotel downtown in 2019 when we attended the show. The Astros were playing just down the street during the world series but thankfully we had reservations long beforehand.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There oughta be a law against hotel price gouging when there’s some big event going on (ie Stupor Bowl, golf tournaments, etc… but even quilt shows cause higher prices!). Long story about hotel prices when I had to do a training in Monterery (which are bad enough anyway) and a golf tournament in Carmel the same week.. whew, I don’t miss those days. Loving the Double Dutch kit, I got Mazey’s message! :) Sue W

    ReplyDelete