Wednesday, February 27, 2019

A Treasured Quilting Day

Hello Everyone,
 
It's not often that I dedicate an entire day to quilting.....only quilting.  It was stormy outside and so cozy inside.  I thoroughly enjoyed every single minute of my time spent on my super-sized Cute as a Button quilt.
 

I loaded up my Strip 'n Sew with hundreds of 1" strips.


I made strip sets for the 9-patches in the blocks.


I cut the sets up into groups.


Then I made a ton of 9-patch blocks.  When sewn into the quilt, they finish at 1-1/2".  They are so stinkin' cute.


Then I start making the blocks.


My design wall is starting to fill in nicely.  BUT, it takes a ton of 6" blocks to make a queen-sized quilt!


Some of my 9-patch blocks are trimmed with dark strips, and some are trimmed in light strips. 

 
Last Saturday we headed to Yosemite to see the Fire Fall.  The angle of the sun on Horsetail Falls creates this natural phenomenon.  Unfortunately, it was pretty cloudy, and the effect was not as dramatic as we witnessed two years ago.
 

2019

We had to park about a mile away from the viewing area, and trek through the snow.  This was really hard on my back.  Once we got to the best location for viewing, the whole time I was thinking that I had to walk back, through the snow, and in the dark.....and our snowshoes were home in the closet.  The picture below shows that we had a cleared trail for part of the way.....but not for very long.


This is what the Fire Fall looks like on a good viewing day.
2017
Today is a paperwork day.....sigh.  Taxes.....big sigh.  Probably not much time for quilting.....bigger sigh.  I'm heading out next week for a guild lecture and workshop in Redding, CA.  I'm looking forward to my trip to the northern part of the state.
 
Soon,
Lynn

8 comments:

  1. Oh good for you! An entire day of stitching sounds perfect. And, those little blocks truly are "Cute as a Button"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd be tempted to use 2" strips for 4-1/2" blocks. Would still need a ton for a queen-sized quilt but a tad faster. Your 9-patches are really cute though!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute as a button!
    Can you tell me about your strip rack? I think I need one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband makes the racks Mary. We are sold out right now. As soon as the weather warms up, he will be making more in his workshop.
      Take care,
      Lynn

      Delete
    2. I too, would like to buy a strip rack. What I used in the past was too darn difficult. May I inquire his price?

      Delete
  4. The fire fall looks amazing. Sorry that the trek and the pain in your back didn't equal how it turned out this year. :( Glad you are back home: sorry that it is taxes day!! I've got that coming up too. Yuck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an experience to witness the Fire Fall - such beauty in our world. Wonderful close up images of your luscious blocks...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love seeing these little blocks grow! (My sis, a quilter, lived in Redding for years but just recently moved) The fire fall is really neat!

    ReplyDelete