Saturday, February 18, 2023

It's Almost a Wrap

Hello Everyone,

I finished machine quilting Calico Cottages the other day.  It is so interesting when I take quilt off the long arm and get to view the entire quilt instead of just the 16" under the needle. 

It seems as though this quilt was on the machine forever since the machine had a mental breakdown.....which made me close to breaking down. Elk Grove Sew and Vac had me back up and running within a week.  My long arm is in my garage, and I nearly froze to death in the 30 degree temps outside.  The warmest I was able to get the garage with my little heater was 44 degrees.  I'm probably the only machine quilter who quilts in their snow clothes complete with snow boots, gloves and beanie.  I always feel like the little kids who get their snow clothes on to go out and play then has to pee.


As you can see, I like a densely quilted quilt.


The power was out for almost the entire day on Friday which was attributed to an equipment failure.  We cranked up the generator so I could continue my quilting and put the binding on the quilt.  I moved my sewing machine out to the dining room table so I could have more space.  The sun was streaming in the windows, and it was just so pleasant soaking up the rays.  Snow is in the forecast beginning the middle of next week.  It's been a very cold and snowy winter. 

I hope we don't get too much snow as I still have a lot to do in preparation for teaching Calico Cottages at the Pieceful Gathering retreat in Fox River Grove, Illinois the beginning of March.  If you are interested in attending the 3-day retreat, contact Katie at Pieceful Gathering Quilt Shop.  I was at the retreat last year and we had such a wonderful time.  The ladies at the shop really know how to host a great retreat. I'm really looking forward to seeing the retreaters who were in attendance last year.  My sister Gail and I are flying back to Chicago with two of our California quilting friends Debbie and Kristi.  I can just imagine the laughter and the fun we are going to have. Sew much fun!

Soon,

Lynn






 

5 comments:

  1. The quilting is stunning♥️I can’t wait to see it in person! I am so looking forward to our Illinois adventurešŸ„°

    ReplyDelete
  2. That must be so miserable quilting in 40 degrees! I salute you, Madam Quilter! Your efforts are so very magnificent. This has been my coldest winter, too. We live in eastern Idaho where it was below zero again this morning before factoring in wind chill. I joked with our Utah neighbors about our move here to be by our family because really, we aren't out in the weather very much. Our cars are lucky to be in the garage. But this winter is different. We are now using space heaters along with the furnace to stay warm. I get colder each year as I turn older and older. How blessed I am to have all this luxurious heating around me! I am sure you are going to sell so many quilt patterns and kits of this great new beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just beautiful! I hope mine looks 1/2 as good as yours when it is finished.

    ReplyDelete