Saturday, February 24, 2024

Perfect Applique Circles

 Hello Everyone,

How many of you plan your quilting schedule around the weather?  Well, I looked ahead at the 10-day forecast and I'm seeing close to 20" of snow beginning next Friday on March 1st.  I can't think of a better way to spend my day than sitting by the woodburning stove and appliqueing my entire day. Keep in mind a few naps may occasionally kick in!  I'm preparing 10 blocks to stitch, which means I need to make 40 perfect circles.


As you can see in the picture above, I'm using Karen Kay Buckley's Perfect Circles.  I selected two different sizes of the circles.  The smaller circle is the finished size which I need.

I always begin with fabric starched with a HEAVY DUTY spray starch.  Doing that cuts down on the amount of raveling and the fabric behaves beautifully.  I guess you could say that I starch it into submission.

I use a Frixion pen and draw a circle around the largest of the two circles, and then cut around it with about a 1/16" of an inch beyond the marked line.  Then I take a running stitch along the marked line.


I put the smaller circle on top of the larger circle so you can see the difference in the sizes.

After I've taken the running stitch, I pull the thread to gather it around the smaller circle and then I press.


I do not knot my thread. Now that's a tongue twister!

I then use an Aqua Touch marker filled with Best Press spray starch and apply it to my perfect circle and press.  I do not apply the starch to the gathered side, I only apply it to the finished side.


I then carefully remove the plastic circle and press again.  The fabric has a memory and will spring right back into shape with just a bit of coercion. I will prepare a bunch of these little guys today and tomorrow and also work on some piecing.


I'll also prepare a lot of plaid pieces while listening to a book on Audible.  


I find applique so soothing and productive.  I love incorporating both piecing and applique in my designs.  I guess because it fulfills me.  Do something fulfilling this weekend.

Soon,
Lynn











3 comments:

  1. I love making circles this way they turn out the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Karen. I can see why they are called perfect circles!

      Delete
  2. KKB Perfect Circles make just that = perfect circles. The only way I choose to make circles.

    ReplyDelete