Thursday, January 16, 2020

Ribbon Border

Hello Everyone,
 
Today I'm going to show you how to make this ribbon border which will be framing my Peek-a-Boo Pumpkins.
 

I started by making 32 (HST) half-square triangles.  I make my HST eight at a time using an easy method.  You can watch this method by clicking HERE and viewing my video on The Quilt Show. There is a lot of information in my Patchwork Math videos.  To soak it all in, you can watch them over and over again for free!


Now that I've trimmed my HST to the correct size using a Bloc-Loc ruler, I then add another square on top.  This is the process that I use to make Y-squares.  This process is also documented in a video of The Quilt Show.  Click HERE to see how to make Y-squares.  The Y-square is such a versatile quilting component.


I now have 64 Y-squares all trimmed and ready to be turned into a ribbon border.


Ta Da!  The border is coming together nicely, and quickly too.


All of this information is also in my Patchwork Math book which is a wonderful reference to keep by your sewing machine.  The book is available HERE on my Etsy site.  I think I'm going to rename it Quilters Survival Math.  That's all it is, basic math that quilters use on a daily basis.  My book is dog-eared and well used.

All of the fabrics used are called Best of Days from Henry Glass & Co.  I was really looking at the fabrics and saw the words Magical Memories running throughout several of the fabrics.  Some quilting days are magical.  We get to apply our creativity to an empty canvas and make it come alive, and create magical memories.


Mr. Joe stacked a lot of wood by the fire last night so we don't have to go outside in the rain, wind and snow today.  We are going to hunker down and stay cozy while the weather outside is frightful!  I have no place to go, except to my sewing machine, so let it snow!

I love, love, LOVE the fact that I cut down on my lecture, show and workshop schedule.  Now I can spend more time quilting and sharing my ideas with all of you.  An added bonus is that I get to stay home and annoy Mr. Joe on a 24/7 basis!

Soon,
Lynn

#HenryGlassFabrics
#BestofDays
 

24 comments:

  1. Morning Lynn! Love the ribbon effect with the magical pumpkins! The Y-squares are perfect. Enjoy your day all cozy and warm in the cabin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jeanne and good morning to you too. I just heard on the news that later on this afternoon, we are supposed to receive 1-3" of snow per hour. That's a lot of snow. We will be cranking up the generator if the lines start coming down. First we have to dig our way to the generator! You enjoy your day too. Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't tell for certain from the picture...but it looks like you might be using reverse applique for the windows on your pumpkin which looks wonderful! I love seeing the great ideas you are coming up with for this beautiful fabric :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you are correct Loris. It is reverse applique in the windows. It is so easy to do, and looks good. Lynn

      Delete
    2. I agree! It makes this even more special :-)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you Karen. I am going to work on this cutie today. Lynn

      Delete
  5. I really like the look of a Ribbon border. Thanks for sharing this new one. Otherwise, stay cozy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You stay cozy too Fran. I would imagine you are receiving a fair bit of rain today. Lynn

      Delete
  6. I also love ribbon borders. Seeing yours reminds me that I haven’t used this idea in eons. (Lol, such a dated word). I just got back in from cleaning a stall with my pal, Rylee... a Cattle Dog. And I chuckled as I read the post as Rylee and I brought up a load of wood on our way back. It snowed today but not what is predicted for your area. But, its supposed to go below zero tonight! Live in Maine. And yes, I stayed in sewing today as gigantic size flakes floated down. I just noted the Country Sampler out of the corner of my eye as typing this. Have to go check it out. Keep warm and enjoy quilting during the storm..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've received about four inches of snow in the last two hours. While you were out cleaning a stall, I was out shoveling the snow off the deck so I could get to the bird feeder. The little guys were very hungry! Country Sampler is a good sampler quilt. I incorporate a lot of my quilting components in it. Also, the sashing is a ribbon sashing. I love it. Take care, Lynn

      Delete
  7. OMG. I just checked the Country Charmer pattern as i headed to check the Country Sampler quilt pattern, and surprise, surprise!!! I have been following a blog (oops forgot the name) and she is making this quilt. If I remember correctly, she was saying how exceptionally good the instructions are written. I have been eyeing the quilt progress entertaining the thought of making one. I think the blog name is Karen’s Quilting maybe, if not the name Karen sticks in my mine. Nice to meet you now that I have been following one of your patterns. Heading to make hubby supper but plan to come back to check out your shop. Stay warm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for commenting. Yes, the blog you are talking about is Karen's Quilting. This blog is exceptional, with a lot of good information. I just posted her site today under my Inspirational Blogs. It comes up Quilts etc. -Lynn

      Delete
  8. I use your quilt math book a lot as well as take it to lectures/trunk shows for a reference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment Sharon. I'm so glad the book is a good reference for you. --Lynn

      Delete
  9. I missed that!!! What is the name of the quilt math book please?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I missed that!!! What is the name of the quilt math book please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book is called Patchwork Math with Quilting Design Components. It is located in my SewnWildOaksDesigns Etsy shop. My classes are free on The Quilt Show.com Just search in the classroom section for Lynn Wilder, and you'll find them.

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Sometimes The Quilt Show moves files around. I have updated the link. Thank you for letting me know.

      Delete
  12. Where can I find the book you are referring to?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment. The book is located in my Etsy shop. https://www.etsy.com/listing/560373852/patchwork-math-using-quilting-design

      Delete
  13. Love this…..will try it on my next quilt.

    ReplyDelete