Sunday, December 29, 2013

Grammy Squares

Hello Everyone,
 
Enough resting and recuperating from Christmas.  It's time for me to get back to quilting!  This block all started when I discovered a bag of 1" strips tucked away in a drawer.
 

I bought a 1" hexagon acrylic template and started piecing.  Before I knew it, I had a 6" block.


The final row will always be black.


I Y-seamed these together and I have the beginning of my Grammy Square quilt.  It reminds me so much of an afghan made from Granny squares.  But my little grand kids call me Grammy, so Grammy it is.


It's going to include every color of the rainbow, separated by different black fabrics. I think it will make the colors really "pop" and I don't have to worry about colors touching each other since they are separated by the black.  I don't want the different colors to duke it out, I just want them to be nice to each other.

I have a feeling this will be a "work on it when I feel like it quilt."  It's one of those where I don't need to think a lot about each square.  If I make a couple of squares each day and sew them together, this it going to grow into a beautiful quilt.  You know what they say, "A block a day keeps the doctor away." 

This is the same idea as my Heartfire pattern but this square is tiny.  Click HERE to see the Heartfire tutorial.  But remember, the strips are 1" stitched around a 1" hexagon center.

This is one of many projects I have going at the same time.  I'm never at a loss when it comes to quilting projects.  The only problem I have is deciding which project I want to work on. It's all good!

Soon,
Lynn

11 comments:

  1. I like what you are doing, I am lovin' hexie's lately! Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG...love these and I have a drawer full of 1 1/2" strips... at home!! Can you guess what I would be doing if I was home right now!! Love these blocks.! Thanks for sharing...
    P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the black fabrics you are using for these hexies. Great background for the beautiful fabrics

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool idea! I learned to crochet before I learned to quilt and though I haven't done it in years, I do remember making one of those granny square afghans.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this, Lynn. What a great idea. Love that black. Ahh.. another one for my "some day" list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhhh....you're so brave to work the tiny pieces, Lynn! I love the idea of black setting off all the other colors - they'll truly float in the quilt! It looks so much like a granny afghan my Lithuanian grandmother crocheted when I was just a baby! LOVE your name for it, too!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's going to look great, but 1" strips I'll leave to you. Good to have lots of things to work on. Take care and have a happy new year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovin' the look of your Grammy/Granny hexagons... I think you may have started something!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think this will make a beautiful quilt , it does remind me of granny squares , great idea ! Happy New Year .

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is going to be another stunner, but the idea of working with 1" strips is scary. I will look forward to following this, but can't see myself ever being tempted to join in!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your hexies are gorgeous, but they look way to hard for me to even think about tackling :) I can not wait to see what you do with them. I'm celebrating my second year blogging anniversary, so come visit and get your name in the hat :)
    Your blogging sister, Connie :)

    ReplyDelete