Saturday, September 11, 2021

Pictures Please

 Hello Everyone,

I love it when quilters send me pictures of the quilts they made from my patterns.  Rachel, from Pennsylvania sent me two pictures. I asked her if I could share the pictures on my blog, and was so pleased when she said yes.

Cute as a Button is perfectly displayed on this wall.  The combination of the fabrics in the quilt, and the color of the paint couldn't be better.


Rachel has been quilting for less than three years, and just look at what she's accomplished!  Here's her version of my Country Sampler pattern.  She changed up the sashing as she said her arthritis screamed at her when it came to the sashings!  I know the feeling, Rachel.  I didn't notice the sashings were changed since I was totally focused on her beautiful blocks.  Well done Rachel!


At this writing, I'm listening to the 911 - 20th anniversary tribute on TV.  The thousands of names of those who were lost are being read, with many tears being shed.  The tragedy seems like it happened only yesterday.

In reflecting back 20 years, I remember getting up early as I had the week off of work. I had a huge to-do list to prepare for our daughter's wedding on 9/14.  I turned on TV just after the plane crashed into the first tower.  I immediately woke up my husband.  My years working in counter terrorism as a GIS analyst at my job, instinctively told me this was a terrorist attack. I changed focus and immediately prepared to go to work, as I was on call during emergencies.  

When the second plane hit, there was absolutely no doubt in my mind we were under attack.  When the plane hit the Pentagon, I woke up my elderly father-in-law who was living with us at the time. During his career, he worked at the Pentagon.  We all watched in horror with the rest of the world.

As it turned out, I didn't have to go to work, but it was so hard to focus on our daughter's wedding.  We didn't know if we were going to go ahead with the wedding since everyone who was supposed to fly to California couldn't fly.  For many, it was too late to start driving. We had no flower girl or ring bearer which paled in comparison to the tremendous loss of life. It seemed disrespectful to proceed with a happy occasion.

We all sat down collectively and talked with our minister.  He suggested we proceed with the wedding as life goes on and is filled with happiness and sadness. He did an excellent job weaving the tragedy into the ceremony and there wasn't a dry eye to be found.

As it turned out, my 85 year old father-in-law became the world's oldest ring bearer while he pulled the flower girl, our 6-month old granddaughter, down the aisle in a red wagon.  Again, there wasn't a dry eye.

Our eldest son, who was living in Arizona, made it into town just as we sat down for the rehearsal dinner.  Having the family together meant the world to me.  To be able to hug our loved ones, and have them close, filled our hearts.

I'm at a loss for words on how to end this post.  Our lives have changed, the world has changed since 9/11.  Hold your cherished loved ones close to your hearts today and always.

Soon,
Lynn



7 comments:

  1. so many memories of 9/11 a horrible time in our life's - I caught it as it was happening as I happened to be watching the Today Show at the time - when the first airplane hit everyone thought it a horrible accident and then the second and no one knew what the heck was happening. Our son in law was in the air force at the time in New Jersey and they called to tell us all bases were on high alert - then my husband called from the nuclear plant he worked at and said they were on high alert and didn't know what time he would be home - it was such a crazy time trying to contact family members that lived near DC and one cousin who worked at the pentagon (he got there after the plane crashed) - such a horrible time in history

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a day none of us will ever forget. Thank you for sharing, Karen.

      Delete
  2. I too can remember exactly where we were as the first tower was hit...watching the Today show as the girls got ready for school. One of them was supposed to go out of state on a CSF field trip. My husband and I contemplated on whether we should let her go, wanting so dearly to hold them close.
    Thank you for sharing your experience, going to prove once again "family is everything."
    Take care, Sharon McD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't blame you for not wanting to let your daughter go out of town. I know the strong bond you have with your girls. Yes, family is everything.

      Delete
  3. I was driving my son to a Biology class when we heard on the radio what had happened. Stunned we sat in the car for the longest time. The most eerie thing was the silence. It seemed that everyone stopped driving, and there were no planes in the air. Our lives have changed. It's like the age of innocence ended. Even after 20 years, it seems like it was just yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had many errands to do for the wedding. I felt guilt being in empty stores.....and yes, there was silence while we all mourned.

      Delete
  4. I thought it was a war of the worlds thing Went directly to sheriff emergency office remember it well

    ReplyDelete