Sunday, January 30, 2011

The Geese Are Flying.....

Hello Everyone,

I planned on finishing the four corner blocks on Friday and I did, thanks to the Quilt in a Day flying geese ruler by Eleanor Burns.  There are several flying geese rulers on the market and this is the one I use.


I needed to make (16) 2-1/2" x 4-1/4" flying geese so I started out with two squares.  Two squares will make 4 flying geese at a time.  The smallest square was 5-1/2" and the larger one was 7"

I placed the light square, right sides together over the dark square.  Using a 1/4" ruler, I marked both sides of the ruler, then stitched on the marked lines.

Then I cut on the marked line.  (I did this step four times since I needed 16 geese.)


....and I had this!

Then press the seam allowance toward the larger triangle.

Place squares right sides together with opposite fabrics facing.  Again, mark on each side of the line diagonally from corner to corner.

The sides of the squares all match up, but it looks like this on the inside.

Stitch on each line, then cut between them.



Clip to the stitching line on the "dark" side.



Press open toward the dark side.



It will look like this on the back.

Then using your handy dandy ruler, line up the green lines and start trimming.


First cut them apart.

Then trim up the sides.
.....and before you can say, "Bob's your uncle," there are 16 perfect geese flying around your sewing room.

The geese are absolutely "spot on" which makes it much easier to construct a perfect block....well almost perfect!

Have a great rest of the weekend. 

As always,

Lynn

4 comments:

  1. Great way to do Flying Geese - thanks for sharing!♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tutorial. I have used that method before. There are so many different ways to make those flying geese, but I forgot how easy it was with that ruler. thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for that reminder of how to make these flying geese! I'd forgotten how easy they are done this way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tutorial, Lynn! I've used all the flying geese rulers out there and I agree - this is my favorite! I love your block, too!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete