Saturday, February 5, 2011

OOOpps...Christmas Quilt Along Starts on the 12th not today

Hello Everyone,

I'm looking forward to the Christmas Quilt Along so much that in my mind I moved it up a week. Sorry, check in next Saturday, February 12th for the Quilt Along.

I've been working hard all week finishing up loose ends on some quilts and re-doing other quilts.  I started out with this grouping of fabric for a block for the Toyland Tree quilt that I'm designing.  Most of it is still on paper, but it is coming along quite nicely. 


I got out all of my applique supplies......and I discovered that my stiletto (and I don't mean shoes!) and my glue stick and other applique necessities never made it to the cabin.  They are still at home on my sewing table.  So improvise it is......a meat thermometer works just as well as a stiletto.  In fact it has a dual purpose.

While preparing the tiny applique pieces, it registers just how hot the little Hobbico irons get!  Wow, 190 degrees!  No wonder I have a few burns on my fingers.

I got all of the little pieces prepared with the meat thermometer, and turned this.....

....into this.  I'm still working on his little face but I really need my applique glue for that.  Applique pins work well for the rest.  After I took this picture, I realized that I needed to move his right arm down.  He's looking much better now.  He reminded me of the Tin Woodsman in the Wizard of Oz who said, "My arm, my arm, I can move my arm."

For those of you that have been following my blog for awhile are familiar with this little guy.  I first started making the quilt with a green background....then I changed my mind to a black background.  It's a whole new ballgame in black and I'm much happier.  I think the blocks are much more striking and will achieve the look I want for the quilt overall.  I had stopped working on this quilt as I just wasn't happy with the four blocks that were done.  They won't go to waste, I'll make something with them.

So, as Quilt Sue says, "I've got my mojo and quiltivation back."  I'm ready to applique the day away with my meat thermometer!!! 

As always,

Lynn

4 comments:

  1. You're so clever, Lynn! We must think alike - once I couldn't reach high enough to tape off an area of a wall I was painting - I found that my offset spatula worked great as a finger extension! We would have made great pioneer women (wink)! Love the bear - and I agree the black dots really make him stand out! Must be something about the smell of pine needles in the morning aire that got you jump-started ;>)
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE your teddy. On the dark background it looks as though eh's in the snow.

    I'm so glad your quiltivation is back too, I love seeing what you are creating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking forward to doing this quilt along. I love applique and have been wanting to start a new project with nothing in mind. Perfect timing. Hope I can keep up with you, lol. In my dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your use of the meat thermometer! So smart! I always burn the tips of my fingers! LOL! I usually have some choice words too! :-)

    ReplyDelete