Thursday, December 2, 2021

Holiday Food

Hello Everyone,

Those of you who know me, know that I love to cook......when I have the time.  Here is an excellent potato recipe you can add to your Holiday cooking.  The recipe is called: Crispy Parmesan and Gruyere Potato Gratin.

It tastes just as good as it looks.  A couple of weeks ago I made this dish for company.  The roast and the potatoes came out of the oven at the same time for us to enjoy.  Boy howdy did we enjoy it!

Here's the recipe that will not disappoint if you decide to make it.

Ingredients:

1-1/2 cups of heavy cream  (Remember, during the Holidays, calories don't count)

2 tsp of kosher salt

3 cloves of garlic, minced

1 tbsp of butter

1 small shallot, diced

5 medium Yukon Gold of White potatoes (I left the skins on)

1 cup of grated Gruyere 

1/2 cup of grated Parmesan 

1 tsp of fresh thyme


Directions:

-Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.

-In a small saucepan add the cream, salt, and garlic.  Bring to a simmer on low heat and cook for 5 minutes.  This will allow the garlic flavor to infuse the cream.  Remove from the heat and set to the side.

-Thinly slice the potatoes to 1/8" thickness using a mandolin slicer.

-In a 12" cast iron pan, add the butter and shallots and fry on low heat for 5 minutes until the shallots have caramelized.

-Arrange the sliced potatoes in a spiral pattern on top of the cooked shallots.  Pour the garlic infused cream mixture over the top of the potatoes.

-Cover the cast iron pan tightly with a piece of foil.  Place the cast iron pan into the oven and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes.

-Remove the pan from the oven and turn the oven temperature to broil.

-Cover the potatoes with the grated Gruyere and Parmesan cheeses.  Sprinkle with the thyme.  Place the cast iron pan into the oven and broil for 5 minutes until the cheese is crispy and bubbling.

-Remove from the oven and serve warm.  This is also great reheated and served the next day.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tonight, we've been invited over to our friend's house for dinner.  I'll be making my go-to cake recipe.   I've posted this recipe a couple of times as it is sooooo good.  I've had my share of baking mishaps over the years, which I blame on our high elevation.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it!  This cake has proven it can stand up to my baking prowess, and the elevation.


Coffee-Orange Fudge Cake

1 pkg. devil’s food cake mix

1 (8 oz) carton sour cream                              
½ cup salad oil                                               
½ cup water                                                               
4 eggs                                                                         
1 (3 oz.) pkg. instant chocolate fudge pudding mix
¼ cup coffee liqueur
2 tablespoons finely-shredded orange peel
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
12oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips

Powdered sugar (optional)

Directions:

©      Grease and flour a 10-inch fluted tube pan.  In a large mixer bowl, combine cake mix, sour cream, oil, water, eggs, pudding mix, liqueur, orange peel and cinnamon.

©      Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until blended, scraping sides of bowl constantly.  Beat on medium speed for 4 minutes. 
©      Stir in chocolate pieces.  Pour into prepared pan. 
©      Bake in a 350° oven for 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.  Cool on a wire rack 10 minutes.  Remove from pan and cool on rack.  Sprinkle with powdered sugar, if desired. 
©      Makes 12 to 16 servings.  This recipe is a blue-ribbon cake from Better Homes & Gardens Test Kitchen.  This cake freezes well.  It’s rich and moist.

Okay, I've blogged two days in a row!  I'll try to keep this record going during December.....or at least until Christmas.

Enjoy,

Lynn





4 comments:

  1. Oh my! Your recipes sound so delicious! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, they are, Jocelyn! I just took my cake out of the oven for tonight. The cabin smells so good.

      Delete
  2. Mmmmmm, good!!! Cannot wait to try out these recipes-thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can vouch for the cake recipe! I've made it, shared it, everyone loves it! I'll be trying the potato recipe in the near future. Thanks, Linn!

    ReplyDelete