Saturday, December 4, 2010

Flower Tutorial

Hello Everyone,

I received several emails and comments requesting a tutorial for the little flowers the ladies made in the Party in the Garden class. Isn't it sweet!


For a flower the size of a half-dollar, start with a half-dollar


With a marking pen or pencil, trace around the half-dollar on the wrong side of your fabric.


Trace around the half-dollar five time and very carefully cut the circles out along the marked line.  These are your petals.

Fold in half and press.

Fold in half again and press.


Make a running stitch along the bottom of the raw edge.  DO NOT CUT OR KNOT YOUR THREAD YET.

Continue on with a running stitch with petal numbers 2 thru 5.

The petals are now all joined together and look like little dunce caps!

Gently, but firmly, pull the thread and gather the petals around in a circle.


This is where you need an extra set of hands.  I used an applique board and pinned the last petal to the board while making a knot or two.  Then sew the end of petal #1 to petal #5 with a couple of stitches.  (Sorry, I forgot to take a picture.)

Now for the center.  Use a dime-sized plastic template or a dime.  Trace around with a marking pen, a generous 1/4" and cut along the marked line.  (By the way, this is how I make all of my circles for berries or flowers for all of my applique projects.)

Make a running stitch.

Pull your thread.

Iron the section, then remove your template or dime.  Don't worry about removing the template.  Since the section was pressed, the fabric will have a memory and know where it is supposed to stay.  If the section seems to be a little "loose", just tighten up the thread.


Now tie your knot and iron it again.....with steam, lots of steam.


At this point, I glued the center section to the flower petals, making sure no raw edges were visible.


The flower is ready to be used as an embellishment.  Attach the flower by sewing around the center section with a blind applique stitch.  To make it even more secure, use a button in the center.  You have endless possibilities.

Coin size, determines flower size.  If you are so inclined, make little, itty bitty flowers by using a quarter.  Let me know if any of you make a dime-sized flower.....this,  I gotta see!  I was quite pleased with the half-dollar flower. 


So there you go....total cuteness!  These little flowers that will add charm to any project.

Have a wonderful weekend everyone while working on your Christmas To-Do Lists.  Remember to carve out some time for yourself this weekend......and enjoy the process. 

As always,

Lynn 

P.S. For those of you that live locally, Joe and I will be in our booth at Ruby Hills Winery for Holiday in the Vineyards.   This is a fun event and our biggest show of the year.  I hope to see some of you there.

6 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this tutorial! I cannot wait to sit down and make some flowers for my cosmetics bags! Now, to find a half dollar.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tutorial. Last year you posted one on making cookies with jam. It was so helpful, and really delicious

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your so thoughtful.... You've got little grand daughters running around there some place don't you? Well last week my friend Phyllis has been recuperating from an operation on her toes... She's chained to a wheel chair.. LOL well really kind of and yes, it's not fun. Anyway she has three darling little grand daughter and she used this method and made two the same color combinations she made many combination and hot glued clips on the backs for a hair clip... so sweet, just like Phyllis is!
    I know it's cookie baking time soon~ Maybe after the craft's fair?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome tutorial, Lynn! Thanks so much! It's very clear and detailed. I already have a project to use those flowers on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for the tutorial. I think I can make the flowers now. So cool! I love your blog and I get so inspired each time I log on and read about all your quilting adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you did this!! It is perfect!!
    Paula

    ReplyDelete