Friday, December 17, 2010

Raspberry Shortbread

Hello Everyone,

It's blast from the past....a.k.a. rerun day. My to-do list is pretty full, so I'm going to just concentrate on it for the next several days.  This recipe for raspberry shortbread is delicious.  Any recipe that calls for almond extract and raspberry jams gets my full attention very quickly!  Hope you all have a wonderful day.  --Lynn

Raspberry Shortbread
1 cup butter, softened
2/3 cup sugar
2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 (10-ounce) jar seedless raspberry or blackberry jam divided

1 ½ cups powdered sugar
3 ½ tablespoons water
½ teaspoon almond extract

-Beat butter and 2/3 cup sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Gradually add flour; beating at low speed until blended.

-Divide dough into 6 equal portions; roll each portion into a 12- x 1-inch strip. Place strips on lightly greased baking sheets.

-Make a ½ inch-wide by ¼ inch-deep indentation down center of strips using the handle of a wooden spoon. Spoon half of jam evenly into indentations.

-Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Remove from oven; spoon remaining jam into indentations. Bake 5 more minutes or until lightly browned.

-Whisk together powdered sugar, water, add almond extract; drizzle over warm shortbread. Cut each strip diagonally into 1-inch slices. Cool in pans on wire racks.

-Yield: 6 dozen
Source: Southern Living 1999 Annual RecipesI used both blackberry and raspberry. We almost like the blackberry jam better. I made a double batch so I could keep some for us and pass some on to friends for an early Christmas indulgence.

Form your logs first.
Make the indentation in the log with a wooden spoon.

Fill them to the rim with the seedless jam.

Flaky, tasty, pretty....what more can I say other than make a batch to share.

5 comments:

  1. Yum! That is definitely worth a repeat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks so GOOD! Oh yeah, I'm so making this! I swear I've gained 5 pounds just since I started reading YOUR blog! No joke. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cookies are wonderful, thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only thing better than raspberry and almond is apricot and almond I reckon. These look so wonderful, I might have to make some before Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just found your blog through Linda at the Quilted Pineapple! I love your blog and thank you for sharing this recipe - it's on my to do list for this week for sure!

    ReplyDelete